Bus Service Hours are 8:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m., Monday through Friday, for township residents who are 55 and older and/or handicapped who need transportation related to shopping, errands, hair appointments, etc. Hours are extended to 3:45 p.m. for riders with doctor, dentist or Good Shepherd appointments.
All rides must be scheduled at least 24 hours in advance. The cost is $2 for one-way and $4 for a round-trip. Riders can request one additional stop for $1 more. Riders must have exact money. Bus drivers cannot make change. To schedule a ride, call (847) 438-6677.
Bus Service Guidelines
- Ela Township’s senior/handicapped bus service starts at 8:30 a.m. for stops with no appointment time. Riders with appointment times will be picked-up within the hour of their scheduled appointment time.
- All appointments should be scheduled for after 9:15 a.m. All riders must be back on the bus by 1:30 p.m. The only exception is for doctor, dentist or Good Shepherd appointments, in which case the last scheduled pick-up to go home is 3:45 p.m.
- Bus rides should be scheduled a minimum of 24 hours in advance. You cannot call for a ride on the day of your appointment or requested stop. Riders are advised to reserve their ride as soon as they know their appointment time to ensure a seat is available the day they need it. Cancellations or changes may be made the same day, if necessary, by calling (847) 438-6677. The bus service dispatch/scheduling line is open Monday-Friday from 6 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. No messages can be left after 3:30 p.m. on this line.
- Please watch for the bus, as the driver can only wait five minutes at each stop. Drivers cannot leave the bus to ring your doorbell. Riders are picked up and dropped off at the end of their driveway. Buses do not go up driveways.
- Drivers cannot leave the bus to deliver grocery bags. All shoppers should limit their number of bags to five, or whichever they can carry.
Senior Center Bus Schedule:
Monday: Pickup at 8:30 a.m., back on bus at 2:30 p.m.
Tuesday: Pickup at 8:30 a.m., back on bus at 12:30 p.m.
Wednesday: Pickup at 10 a.m., back on bus at 2:30 p.m.
Thursday: Pickup at 8:30 a.m., back on bus at 2:30 p.m.
There is no bus service on the following 2016 township holidays:
- Friday, December 23, 2016, Christmas Eve
- Monday, December 26, 2016, for Christmas Day
There is no bus service on the following 2017 township holidays:
- Monday, January 2, 2017, New Years Day
- Monday, February 20, 2017, President’s Day
- Friday, April 14, 2017, Good Friday
- Monday, May 29, 2017, Memorial Day
- Tuesday, July 4, 2017, Independence Day
- Monday, September 4, 2017, Labor Day
- Thursday, November 23, 2017, Thanksgiving Day
- Friday, November 24, 2017, day after Thanksgiving
- Friday, December 22, 2017, for Christmas Eve
- Monday, December 25, 2017, Christmas Day
HOLIDAY SHOPPING TRIPS
The remaining bus trips for holiday shopping at Hawthorn Mall in Vernon Hills will be December 5 and 12. You MUST reserve your seat at least four days ahead of each scheduled trip by calling (847) 438-6677.
Senior Holiday Dinner at St. Francis de Sales Church
The bus ride is free on the evening of December 9 to and from the church. If you need transportation to attend, call (847) 438-6677 before December 7 to reserve your seat on the bus.