Supervisor Lucy Prouty
My name is Lucy Prouty and I have been Ela Township Supervisor since 2005. Before being elected supervisor, I served as Ela Township Clerk for four years. Prior to that, I was an Ela Township Trustee for 10 years. Township government is not familiar to all. There are specific duties we are required to perform and beyond those, there are many other services we choose to provide to benefit our residents.
The Ela Township Board consists of eight elected officials, each with a duty to perform.
- Supervisor: Serves as chief executive officer of the township whose duties and responsibilities includes serving as chairman of the board of trustees, administer a general assistance program and serve as treasurer of all funds including town, general assistance, cemetery, road and park maintenance.
- Clerk: Duties include keeping of all township records, attend board meetings and record roll call votes. The clerk writes the minutes for each board meeting and maintains all records of executive sessions.
- Assessor: The assessor’s responsibility includes a mass appraisal of all taxable property within the township which includes three fundamental duties:
- Discover, list and value all new construction within their jurisdiction.
- Ensure existing property is valued at the appropriate statutory level of market value.
- Assure that similar property is valued in a uniform manner.
- Highway Commissioner: The township highway commissioner is responsible for the construction and maintenance of all roads and bridges in their district. Snow removal services are also the responsibility of the highway department
- Trustees (4): The four trustees along with the township supervisor comprise the township board. Trustees are responsible for approving all Township expenses and auditing all bills submitted for payment. This board’s duties include adopting the annual town budget and appropriation ordinance and certify the tax levies for town and road.
All township officials are elected for a term of four years.
Throughout this website you can read about many services that are available to residents. These services are available to all residents, not just the unincorporated areas or our township.
Our programs for seniors, youth and social work continue to grow. The bus service has been serving senior and disable residents for many years.