The bus driver operates a 12-passenger bus or 8-passenger van to transport senior and disabled Township residents to and from appointments, shopping, errands, places of work, etc. This position works in collaboration with the Transportation Coordinator. While District 95 schools are in session, students are transported from area schools to the Ela Township Community Center. This position is employed on a part-time basis, Monday through Friday, up to 19 hours per week on average (schedule may vary).
- Responsible for safely transporting passengers in a safe, courteous, and reliable manner within the service area.
- Assists in the boarding of passengers using a wheelchair or other mobility device requiring the use of a wheelchair lift, and properly secure wheelchairs or scooters for passengers on the bus.
- Must be a safety conscious person whose top priority is the welfare of their passengers and following best practices for vehicle safety while driving on roadways.
- Must have the ability to perform pre-trip vehicle inspections.
- Must have the ability to work effectively with other bus drivers, Township staff, and passengers.
- Must maintain bus cleanliness, both interior and exterior, on a daily or weekly basis or as instructed.
- Must have the ability to accurately report and complete daily bus paperwork, such as pre-trip inspection and daily route sheets.
- Must be flexible with hours and able to work full-time days (8 a.m. to 4 p.m.) when occasionally needed.
- Must be at least 21 years old.
- Must have a valid Illinois driver license for at least three years with no major violations
- All applicants are subject to background check and drug test.
- High school diploma or GED equivalent required.
- Ability to perform CPR and basic first aid knowledge, ability to use an AED machine.
Compensation and Benefits
The Township offers a starting hourly pay range of $18.00-$20.00 (DOQ). Benefits includes participation in the Illinois Municipal Retirement Fund (IMRF) pension.
Work Environment / Physical Requirements:
Work is performed in an indoor/outdoor environment. May be required to work outside of normal hours of operation at times depending on the needs of the organization. The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. There may be occasional standing, walking, stooping, kneeling, crouching, crawling and lifting/moving objects weighing up to 30 pounds.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org