Ela Township is seeking candidates for the leadership position of Township Manager. Appointed by the Ela Township Board, the Township Manager is responsible for leading all operations, strategic planning, financial, budget/levy, personnel and legal matters for the Township. He/she must have a passion for local government and public service. This position requires a leader who is a self-starter, honest, open-minded, inclusive, creative, innovative, responsive, strategic, proactive, results-oriented, approachable, accessible, a good listener, an excellent communicator, a visionary, a collaborator, and community builder.
Ela Township serves over 45,000 residents and encompasses 36 square miles of land in the southwest corner of Lake County, Illinois. Ela Township overlaps the following municipal boundaries, which include Barrington, Deer Park, Hawthorn Woods, Kildeer, Lake Zurich, Long Grove, and North Barrington. The Township also serves the unincorporated communities of Forest Lake and Echo Lake.
The Township Manager is responsible for overseeing all professional management of operations and services related to Administration, Assessor’s Office, Building Maintenance, Cemeteries, Clerk’s Office, Communications, Community-Based Senior and Youth Programs, Finance, Highway Department, Human Resources, Information Technology, Parks & Recreation, and Social Services.
Position: Township Manager
Reports to: Township Supervisor and Board of Trustees
- Leads 22 full-time and 19 part-time staff to implement all Township related operations, services, and programs.
- Formulates all policies, plans, and goals in collaboration with the Township’s leadership team.
- Informs the Township Board on all vital Township-related matters and recommends needed actions.
- Directs staff and champions the implementation of the Township Board approved strategic plan.
- Responsible for overseeing the daily management of Township operations to ensure the cost-effective and efficient delivery of resident services.
- Represents, or supervises the representation of the Township in affairs with employees, other organizations and government agencies, and the public.
- Serves as the Budget Officer and prepares the tentative budget at the direction of the Township Board.
- Reviews, plans and reports on the Township’s tax levy needs with the Township Board.
- Overseas financial management including supervision of accounts payable, payroll, and purchasing.
- Ensures the annual comprehensive financial audit is conducted and reported accurately.
- Participates in all committee meetings with staff, residents, and elected officials.
- Overseas all procurement and contractual obligations for Township services and projects.
- Responsible for intergovernmental relations and agreements, including maintaining relationships with local municipalities, townships, county government, special districts, the State of Illinois, and associations such as TOI, MTA, LCML, etc.
- Reviews and directs all essential internal and external communications with staff.
- Leads special projects/initiatives related strategic planning, organizational assessments, resource development/grants acquisition, and emergency services and preparedness among others.
- Overseas the review and performance evaluation process for all Township employees.
- Maintains a strong knowledge and understanding of the Illinois laws and regulations concerning local government agencies, including best practices.
- Prepares meeting agendas, including other ordinances or resolutions as directed by the Township Board.
- Overseas and coordinates all legal issues with the Township Board and its attorney.
- Approves all Township-wide communications such as newsletters, public notices, etc.
- Leads all information technology initiatives for Township operations and coordinates any required maintenance/repair work with IT/communications consultants.
- Overseas all capital improvement planning and implementation with the Township’s leadership team.
- Reviews and approves all OMA/FOIA related matters with staff and maintains certification.
- Performs any other related job duties as directed by the Township Board.
Education and Experience:
- Undergraduate degree in public administration, business administration, public policy, political science, or related field is required. Master’s degree is preferred.
- Supervisory experience leading a local government agency preferred.
Compensation & Benefits:
- Salary Range: $110,000 – $115,000 DOQE. An excellent benefits package is included with paid time off, sick leave, paid holidays, health insurance, and Illinois Municipal Retirement Fund pension.
Interested candidates should submit their resume, cover letter, application and contact information with three professional references to Gloria Palmblad at firstname.lastname@example.org. The job posting will remain open until filled.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com