Lake Zurich had a large settlement of immigrant German farmers in 1901 when many of them joined to build St. Peter Evangelical and Reformed Church and open a two-acre church cemetery nearby on Midlothian Road. In 1949, St. Peter Congregational Church (U.C.C.) in response to the new Illinois cemetery act, deeded the cemetery to the just formed Lake Zurich Cemetery Association, which operated until 2007. At that time, the cemetery board knew that perpetual care would eventually become impossible to deliver. The Ela Township Board, with the help of permissive state law, was able to assume ownership of the cemetery.
Since the takeover, the township has improved general maintenance, filled sinking areas, planted trees, improved the overall appearance, installed a scatter garden and opened a new section. Daily visitors come to the cemetery to share remembrances of good times, to meditate, and to visit with lost loved ones.
The cemetery has room for approximately 1300 burials. A little over 1200 sites are under ownership with a majority being devoted to burial. About 20 sites remain for sale.